We’re almost all the way through March and, let’s face it, March kind of blows. And if you live where I do (in southeastern Washington), you know that it literally blows. The wind is awful.
March is one of those weird months here where it looks like we’re on our way to spring (which makes me happy dance) and, thanks to daylight savings time, it’s staying lighter later. The forecast has ginormous suns plastered over each day of the week and the temperatures may even venture into the 60s (when you’ve been dealing with 30s and 40s all winter, the idea of 60 has you pulling out your bathing suit and shorts). If you stay inside, you can keep telling yourself that summer is just around the corner (and that 60 is bikini weather), but once you step outside you’re hit by the wind.
The icy, cold, douchigloo wind.
So, basically, it still feels like winter. The good part, however, is that it gives me an excuse to stay inside and curl up with a good book. Or, rather, a cozy book.
My latest reading addiction has been cozy mysteries. They’re short, entertaining, lighthearted, and usually humorous. For me, they’re the perfect cure for passing the time during these final weeks of winter.
Unfortunately, finding books I like in this genre has been an interesting challenge. You see, I have a “thing” about dumb female characters and ignorantly illogical plots. And by a “thing” I mean hate them. Hate. Hate. Hate. Hate them.
In this genre, it is iffy. There’s a fine line between a funny, self-depreciating female character that ends up in all kind of funny circumstances – especially when there’s a cute guy involved – as she digs up clues to solve the mystery and an immature female lead that spends most of the time talking about boys and shoes while everyone hands her clues (which she conveniently ignores).
I swear, for every one series I find I like (or at least want to read), there are two or three that I can't stand (thank God for Amazon samples).
The other issue I have with these types of books is that they're tough to review. I finish them too fast and, by the time I have time to sit down at a computer and write a review, I've gone through three or four more. Although I enjoy them, they're not really critically acclaimed works of literature that allow for deep analysis. Plus, they all follow the same basic formula, so sometimes it feels like I'm basically reviewing the same book over again.
Not reviewing books, however, makes me anxious. I don't know why, other than the fact that I'm neurotic. It's like if I don't review them, I'll forget I read them (and as evidence to my theory, when I sat down to catch up on these, I couldn't remember one of the books I read within the past couple weeks). Maybe I'm more forgetful than neurotic?
Anyway, I decided to simplify my review process for books in this genre with more of a structured review system and ratings breakdown (less thinking for me, too!).
I'll be using the following guide:
The Unlikely Sleuth <--- Whose the main character?
Synopsis: <--- What happens and needs solving?
Plot Pace Rating: ?/ 5 <--- Was I on the edge of my seat or did I fall asleep?
Mystery Rating: ? / 5 <--- Was there a compelling mystery, or was it an afterthought to sell books?
Character Rating: ? / 5 <--- Were the characters amusing/entertaining or just going through the motions?
Romance Rating: ? / 5 <--- Was it tolerable or did it make my ovaries want to cry?
The Best Part: <--- What made my pants happy.
And The Worst: <--- What made my pants sad.
Series Rating: <--- If this is part of a series, how does it rate overall (obviously no rating if it's only the first book)?
[...] the long review (since I wrote it before I decided to change the cozy mystery review [...]
ReplyDelete[...] long review (this is one that I got to before I decided to change the format of the cozy mystery [...]
ReplyDelete