Hmm. What did I think? What did I think?
[caption id="attachment_107" align="alignright" width="297"]
I actually spent a good deal of time pondering over how I would review this book even before I was finished reading it. I really, really wanted to like it. I thought it would've been an interesting concept -- a mysterious illusionist resurrecting his powers to wreck havoc in modern-day society. I love paranormal detective novels. The first chapter was gripping. A mysterious statue! Spontaneous human combustion! What next?
Sadly, the only illusion was how this book could take such an interesting idea and fail to deliver.
I really wanted to like it. I did.
The story doesn't totally make sense. The words "illusion" and "gift" are thrown around to describe what the "illusionist" is supposedly giving to his victims. Perhaps I should've looked in the dictionary for some arbitrary use of those words that would've made more sense, but this wasn't the type of book I should have to dig that hard to enjoy.
The author was descriptive, but sometimes it was painful to wade through paragraphs of insignificant observations and tangents -- especially when they did little to evolve the characters or the plot.
The history behind the illusionist was grotesque but not insightful.
0 comments :