Note: These are short reviews I'd posted on Goodreads prior to starting writing full reviews. Sorry!
[caption id="attachment_94" align="alignright" width="200"]
The Deepest Cut (MacKinnon Curse #1)
Sixteen-year-old Riley has been able to see and talk to ghosts since her mother died in a car crash (for which Riley blames herself). Riley’s workaholic father moves her and her younger brother to Scotland where she meets Ian, a centuries-old ghost of a young man murdered by a servant (Laria) with a fatal attraction. Riley agrees to help Ian move on, but two things stand in her way: Laria’s malicious spirit determined to keep Ian forever and the fact that Riley herself if falling in love with him.
Things I loved:
The plot was fast-paced, but not so much that it just glossed over details and left me feeling like I was getting the cliff note version. This book had me reading into early hours of the morning because I didn’t want to put it down – which is strange since I generally don’t like these type of teen romance books (ok, some of me not wanting to put it down was because I was irritated with Riley for being stupid and hoped she’d pull her head out).
Laria’s ghost was by far one of my favorite parts of the book – she wasn’t your average run-of-the-mill bump-in-the-night kind of spirit. I never knew what she was going to do – what she was capable of doing – and that made her both terrifying and intriguing.
Things I liked:
The cast of supporting characters provided some humor in the midst of the drama and really made you feel like you were in Scotland (which I would know nothing about since I’ve never been there, but it’s at least what I pictured).
Things I “meh”d:
The teen romance. Yes, I said it kept me reading because I was so mad at Riley for being another dumb love struck teenager engaging in an unhealthy relationship with a guy who she can’t be with and who has few qualities that make him so spectacular. Actually, I thought Riley was becoming obsessed, almost like Laria.
[caption id="attachment_95" align="alignright" width="200"]
The Haunted (MacKinnon Curse #2)
After helping Ian move on, Riley begins the school year and meets Kade, a descendant of the MacKinnon family. They begin a relationship and she wonders if Kade is a reincarnation of Ian. Whether he is or he’s not, Laria’s spirit is still here – now stronger – and will do anything to keep them apart.
Things I loved:
This was a rollercoaster ride. Like the first book, I had no idea where it was going but I wanted to keep reading.
Things I liked:
Prettymuch the same thing as the first book. The supporting characters were interesting and lightened up the story.
Things I “meh”’d:
Riley. I’m seriously wanting to throw my Kindle at her. Not only was she so obsessed with Ian in the first book, but she found a way to move on without actually moving on (thinking he's Ian’s spirit reincarnated). She seems so naïve. I wish there was more substance to Kade/Ian so I could actually like him – he's not really doing anything wrong. Maybe I would get what she sees in him.
And the book just stopped at the height of the plot like a “to be continued” series. I was a little frustrated. I do want to know what happens and will read the next book, but I wish they were labeled as a “part one” and “part two” instead of completely separate books.
[caption id="attachment_96" align="alignright" width="200"]
The Departed (MacKinnon Curse #3)
In the third installment of the MacKinnon chronicles, Riley continues to fight against the malevolent spirit Laria. Laria is stronger than ever and, with the help of the spirits of her coven, there's no knowing how far she will go to exact her revenge. Riley must rely on the help of her friends to stop Laria before it's too late.
Things I loved: I LOVED Riley's growth in this book. In the first two books, she seemed too obsessed and reliant on her relationship with Ian/Kade. It seemed to be the only thing she cared about or felt protective over. In The Departed, Riley isn't so much the lovestruck puppy dog following Kade around and she actually steps up into more of a heroine role to protect her friends.
Things I liked: This book actually had an ending. When I was about 90% done I panicked that there wasn't going to be any closure and I'd be left hanging like at the end of The Haunted.
Things I "meh'd: I wish this book was longer. I think there should've been more of a tie in or explanation of who Peter and the blonde victim of the cover were. Why did they try to guide Riley? Who were they when they were alive? Also, the ending could've been a little bit better. I was happy it provided closure, but it seemed a little abrupt for all the build up (especially about them going to find Laria's).
0 comments :