Lying Season (Experiment in Terror #4) by Karina Halle
GOODREADS SYNOPSIS: Amateur ghost-hunter Perry Palomino has battled ghosts, fought off skinwalkers and skirted the fine line between life and death. But can she survive bunking down in Seattle for a week with her partner (and man she secretly loves) Dex and his perfect girlfriend, Jennifer? And can she do so while being tormented by a malicious spirit from Dex’s increasingly shady past? With love and life in the balance, Perry must discover the truth among the lies or risk losing everything she's ever cared about.
[caption id="attachment_323" align="alignright" width="297"]
I started this immediately after finishing #3 -- and I finished less than 24 hours later. I'm pretty sure my couch as a permanent indent where my butt has been for the entire day.
I liked this book. I didn't like it as much as #3, but I'm one of those people who like nice, tidy endings (at least to one plot line) and the end left me hanging on everything.
In this book, Perry heads up to Seattle for a week to stay with Dex and his "Wine Babe" girlfriend, Jenn. They're supposed to be investigating a mental hospital and then end the week with the company Christmas party, but those events took up very little of the book (which, in my opinion, was a little disappointing).
Mostly, this book explores the relationship of Jenn and Dex, Perry and Dex and Jenn and all of Dex's friends. It was a lot of justification for hating Jenn (which, didn't we all even before this book?). It also delved into Dex's head and Perry learns a little more about what medication he takes and, importantly, why he takes it.
Through most of this book, I wanted to kill Dex. Actually, I began feeling that way since Red Fox, but this one really made me want to throw my Kindle. If Perry was my friend, I would've been telling her she needs to drop that loser ASAP.
At (or near) the end, Perry hears a voice with some information that was meant for Dex. She never ends up telling him (I'm assuming it will be explored in the next book). She doesn't seem to read too much into it although, to me, it really seems like it could be foreshadowing something that will really put a damper on their relationship for good. But that's just me reading into things.
0 comments :