Dead Sky Morning (Experiment in Terror #3) by Karina Halle
GOODREADS SYNOPSIS: With the Experiment in Terror show finding some success, amateur ghost hunters Perry Palomino and Dex Foray embark on their most terrifying investigation yet. A tiny, fog-shrouded island in the rough strait between British Columbia and Washington State has held a dark secret for decades: It was a former leper colony where over forty souls were left to rot, die and bury each other. Now a functioning campground, Perry and Dex spend an isolated weekend there to investigate potential hauntings but as the duo quickly find out, there is more to fear on D’Arcy Island than just ghosts. The island quickly pits partner against partner, spiraling the pair into madness that serves to destroy their sanity, their relationship and their very lives.
[caption id="attachment_326" align="alignright" width="295"]
This was by far my favorite book in the series. Oh my gosh! How do I even explain? While I enjoyed the other books, this one was not only the most suspenseful and terrifying (I felt like my heart was racing during some parts), but it was the first time I really felt the REAL Perry Palomino coming out. Her character developed from the angsty girl making googly eyes at Dex in the first two books to a strong, intelligent and deep woman. She stood up for herself. I had moments where I couldn't but think, "YOU GO GIRL!"
The book takes her and Dex up north to a small island in Canada where, at the turn of the century, was home (or prison) to a leper colony. There was little written about the island, but it was a place where the Canadian government would just rather forget.
Unlike the second book which didn't really deal with ghosts, this one goes back to those roots.
I'm not sure if the author just finally got into her groove, but her writing reached new levels. The descriptions were horrific and magnificent. Unbelievable. Loved it!
0 comments :