Tuesday, January 8, 2013

2013 Reading Challenges

readingchallengesIn January of 2012, I set a goal to read 50 books by the end of the year. As someone who read a grand total of zero books between 2006 and December of 2011, I was like, “Yeah, have fun with that!” It’s not that I didn’t like reading, I just only have two speeds: sleep and OHMYEFFINGGOD GOOOOO! Basically, anything that I couldn’t do while surfing the internet, eating dinner, watching TV and thinking about what I was going to do next was out of the question.


So, when I surpassed 50 books during the summer (without even trying), I did a little funky white girl happy dance and upped my goal to 100, which I exceeded by three books. In the past year, I not only rediscovered that I love reading, but I found out it actually helps me calm down. Focus. Stop moving for five seconds.


I wanted to increase my goal this year, but not so much that I’d be rushing (defeating the whole calming thing). I decided on an odd 113 books (for 113 books in 2013), because I’m corny like that. And, since I will theme the $h!t out of anything like it’s a high school prom, I decided to add some reading challenges. Thirteen of them, to be exact.


I’m hoping some of the challenges take me a little bit of my rut comfort zone. Some of the challenges will be easy or overlap into multiple categories. Some of them I’m pretty sure I won’t complete (i.e. Where Are You Reading? that challenges you to read books that take place in each of states), but it will be fun trying.


And the challenges are...


 


1. Women Challenge from Peek a Book (GOAL: Wonder Woman - 16+ books)


Women Author Challenge from Peek a Book


 


2. What's in a Name by Beth Fish Reads (GOAL: 7 books)


What's in a Name by Beth Fish Reads 


 


3. Let Me Count the Ways (Book Version) by Avanti's Place (GOAL: Mansion - 10,000+ pages)


Let me Count the Ways by Avanti's Place


 


4. Self-Published Reading Challenge by Workaday Reads (GOAL: Sentence - 5 books)


Self-Published Reading Challenge by Workaday Reads


 


5. Paranormal Reading Challenge by Auntie Spinelli Reads (GOAL: 12 books)


Paranormal Reading Challenge by Auntie Spinelli Reads


 


6. Outside the Box Book Challenge by Musings of a Book Lover (GOAL: I'm a Little Scared - 3-4 categories)


Outside the Box Reading Challenge by Musings of a Book Lover


 


7. 2013 Where are you Reading Challenge by Book Journey (GOAL: 50 books as many as I can)


 2013 Where are You Reading Challenge by Book Journey


 


8. 2013 Eclectic Reader Challenge by Book'd Out (GOAL: 12 books)


2013 for the Eclectic Reader Challenge


 


9. Authors After Dark 2013 Reading Challenge by Midnyte Reader (GOAL: 5 authors)


Authors After Dark book challenge


 


10. 2013 Mystery/Crime Challenge by The Crafty Book Nerd (GOAL: Detective - 5 books)


2013 Mystery/Crime Book Challenge


 


11. 2013 Historical Fiction Reading Challenge by Historical Tapestry (GOAL: Victorian Reader - 5 books)



 


12. Clocks, Cogs and Mechanisms Reading Challenge 2013 (GOAL: Flight Goggles - 4-6 books)


 Clocks, Cogs and Mechanisms Reading Challenge 2013


 


...and last but not least (the spark that started this entire blog)


13. Goodreads Personal Reading Challenge (GOAL: 113 books)




2013 Reading Challenge


2013 Reading Challenge

Wendy has read 7 books toward her goal of 113 books.


hide





 


4 comments :

  1. Wendy, so glad that you will be reading along with us over at The Crafty Book Nerd in 2013!
    Amy Yingling
    The Crafty Book Nerd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for joining my challenge. I hope you have a wonderful time with this your books.
    Happy Reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI! Thanks for making my challenge one of your 13! That's awesome! I am looking forward to your reviews on Reading Outside the Box - and it just so happens that I put up the linky so you can add a review when you have one! I look forward to seeing what you do end up for this challenge! Enjoy re-reading Pride and Prejudice! Jane Austen ROCKS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. by the way... I LOVE your rating scale!!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by Clairvo