Details:
Series: Charley Davidson
Pages: 319
Edition: Kindle
Publisher/Date: St. Martin’s Press / October 30, 2012.
Price: $11.99 on Amazon
★★★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Anyone else want to join me to protest the new, not improved Charley Davidson? We need signs! Seriously, Ms. Jones? BRING BACK CHARLEY! Warning: I’ve got smelly magic markers and I know how to use them!
I was so anxiously awaiting this book, but it was beyond disappointing. It was like getting a new puppy and then watching it get hit by a semi-truck. Okay, maybe a semi-truck is too harsh. More like a Ford Taurus. But, still, DISAPPOINTED!
When I started reading the series, I was blown away by the witty, sarcastic, badass Grim-Reaper-slash-Private-
So, what the hell happened!? Charley went from hella kick ass to “glorified battered woman.”
After seeing all the great reviews on here, I’m left with the opinion that there are two schools of thought: those who will see this as a racy story of romance and those who want to kick Reyes’ in his son-of-satan nuts.
Which camp are you? Take the following quote from Chapter 18 (Charley regarding an "encounter" with Reyes):
"With a growl that sent my heart racing into overtime, he wrapped one hand around my throat and the other around my waist. From there, he led me back against the wall."
Did you find that romantic? If so, then you’re going to love this book. Did you want to throw something heavy? Then welcome to my world.
I am just.not.okay with this role and I am even less OK with the fact that it’s happened to someone who was so independent. This does not make sense.
I know I should be rambling about the plot, but I'd have to hire a private investigator to find it. It was kind of like...
Charley is agoraphobic and addicted to the home shopping network after being kidnapped and tortured by the man who once abused Reyes...after Reyes used her as bait. She’s all pissed off at him (rightfully so), so she tracks him down at an underground fight club to give him a bill (for $1 million) to compensate her for her investigative services. But then she sees him and the whole fact that he nearly got her killed basically flies out of her vagina. So, yeah, he holds her up against a wall and tells her to be afraid and then she’s all like, “YOU ARE SO HAWT! DO ME!”
Oh and every once and a while she’s working on this case for a lady who says she’s being stalked and someone is leaving dead rabbits in her cupboards.
Oh, and then she gets kidnapped again (won’t say by who), but it’s an amiable kidnapping and has absolutely nothing to do with anything else.
There’s some demons after her, too. Sometimes.
Charley does, however, learn more about her Grim Reaper-ness. After everyone telling her how powerful she is yet never giving her specifics, Reyes randomly decides to open up. No reason. I mean, yeah, it could’ve helped her protect herself books ago, but why ruin the fun with being honest?
And then there were the explicit scenes of – you know what. Not that I particularly care for those in the first place, but these were excessively bad. And ew. And ew ew ew!
I know, totally articulate review, right? But I’m a Charley Davidson fan and this book was so not Charley.
0 comments :