Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Tab Bennett and the Inbetween by Jes Young

Tab Bennett the petulant ho bag and the Inbetween


by Jes Young


☆☆☆☆


[caption id="attachment_417" align="alignright" width="224"] Tab Bennett and the Inbetween by Jes Young[/caption]

Insufferable.


That’s the best way to describe this book.


Add the words “petulant,” “dithering” and “ho bag” and you have the main character, Tabitha (“Tab”) Bennett.


Normally, I don’t question other people’s reviews (to each their own), but I seriously worry about the people who gave this four or five stars. Or three. Probably two, too.  I realize just because I have a vagina doesn’t mean I can speak for all women, but I can’t see how any self-respecting female would get anything more than an itchy burning feeling from ingesting this garbage.


Maybe I’m just bitter because I feel betrayed. I had an advanced review copy, but I realized it had already come out and, from the gripping first chapter, I just went ahead and bought it.


Tab Bennett’s sisters are being murdered (and buried on their family’s property). Her father refuses to go to the police and makes up lies to cover the disappearance of the girls. Suspicious, right? But Tab doesn’t question it and soon finds out that she’s an elf princess being raised in the human world until its safe for her to return her land. Her “family” is actually her advisors and her fiancé, Robbin, is actually her bodyguard. Although he wasn’t supposed to fall in love, which he did.


Interesting right? Totally did not see that coming.


And then comes out her inner slut. She abandons Robbin at her sister’s funeral when she spots Alex, a mysterious stranger who turns out to be her arranged prince from the elf world. She throws herself into his arms and begins an intense makeout session. In front of her grandfather. In front of her fiancé. At her sister’s funeral.


No one things this is slutastic?


She spends the rest of the time being protected by her “subjects,” dry humping Alex (a lot), and supposedly being still in love with Robbin even though she’s rude to him and has told him to bug off.


She asks Alex to help her fight so she can protect herself from the bad elves trying to kill her (and be a “bad ass”). Aside from one half-assed fighting session, she dedicates no time to this. No, she spends all of her time trying to not eff Alex and demanding things of her “family” since now they are her subjects and she can boss them around.


The sex scenes are offensive. Not because of their vulgarity, but because they are glorified rape. There’s one scene where Alex, in response to his interpretation of Tab’s interest in Robbin, throws her against the wall, humping her and screaming “HE CAN NOT HAVE YOU!” “YOU’RE MINE!” This thrills Tab. I can’t even imagine how elated she’d be if he smacked her around a little, too.


Did I mention that Alex was actually engaged to Tab’s mother? And Robbin was Tab’s mother’s lover? Since elves age differently, they still look young. That’s not weird or anything.


There are several moments where Alex acts suspicious, but nothing ever comes of it. It was obviously a weak ass attempt to spice up the plot. 


The bad guys were random. Apparently everyone is out to get Tab? But not hard enough to actually try all that hard. I can’t figure out if they want to kill her or abduct her. They’ve said both.


Aside from the plot, there was this HUGE FREAKING ISSUE of random capitalization. I’ll give a writer a pass on a few small grammar issues, but the constant capitalizations of “They” and “We” (referring to bad guys or her land). Like they’re capitalizing “God” but for everything. 


Oh my gosh, I can’t quite describe how angry I became reading this garbage. I actually finished it only because I hoped Tab would stop thinking with her twat – I don’t know why – but it never happened. 


And this is supposed to be young adult? Since when did books for young adults include frequent and lengthy paragraphs about feeling his "hardness" against her and then, ultimately, end up in violent sex? God. I would be appalled if I had a daughter reading a book that glamorized such devaluating behavior. 


I can’t possibly imagine continuing to read this series. 

1 comment :

  1. [...] (patent pending). Before Wondrous Strange, I’d managed to make it all the way through only one book with fairies as main characters, and even then I needed a bottle of Lysol to clean the vomit and e-herpes off my [...]

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by Clairvo